A couple of decades ago, Antivirus was the only security option for your computers. The threats back then weren’t too menacing and a simple antivirus program was capable of providing adequate security and protection. Times, however, have definitely changed now. Protection tools and malicious programs try to stay one step ahead of each other. There are always new threats out there. This is why it becomes imperative to have an effective security solution. Antivirus and Internet Security are the two most popular forms of security tools in the market these days. We often find it difficult to decide which one to buy. In this article we draw the comparisons and understand why Internet Security is a better solution.
ANTIVIRUS AND INTERNET SECURITY : WHICH ONE IS BETTER?
Let’s first look at the overview of the two different suites. Here, we will also determine how Internet Security software is better than even the best antivirus for Windows.
Antivirus has been the oldest form of protection for computers against the threats. There is also no denying that they are the most popular security programs in the market. Over the decades, the antivirus technology has changed to catch up with the evolving nature of the viruses. The antivirus programs are way more involved and thorough with computer scanning and protection. In other words, these tools have evolved dramatically over the decades ever since they first came into existence in 90s. Here are some of the things you can expect from an antivirus of today:
- They don’t just protect you against the viruses. They provide more comprehensive protection and keep your devices free of many other malicious programs like spyware, adware, ranswomware, rootkits and other types of malware.
- Even though there is Internet Security software to provide web related security, the antivirus tools of today are capable of providing basic level of internet protection. They can help you detect whether the downloaded file is infected, they can also single out the sites containing malware, and they can prevent you from phishing attacks as well.
- Most antivirus programs these days are lightweight and do not cause much impact on the performance as compared to more elaborate programs like Internet Security.
- Antvirus programs are inexpensive especially when compared to the tools like Internet Security.
That’s just a quick snapshot of what antivirus tools or today are about. When compared to the Internet Security suites, you will find antivirus lacking in many fronts. There are a few things they cannot do. Here is the list:
- Antivirus programs usually do not provide Firewall protection. In the event of a network attack your device will remain vulnerable. Some antivirus tools may offer firewall security but with very limited capability.
- They are often not as up to date with the new viruses and threats on the web as Internet Security suites.
- Some important security features that can prevent you from online threats are often missing in antivirus programs.
So, even if you are buying the best antivirus for Windows, you may still not be as protected as you expect.
Internet Security Suites
Internet Security is everything that antivirus is and a lot more. This pretty much means that these programs not only act as antivirus but also offers more comprehensive protection services from a breath of threats. Most experts (and so do I) believe that Internet Security software is the best way to keep your computers protected. If you go a step above, there is Total Security tool that has even more features. But, Total Security is more expensive and also causes more dent in the performance. Internet Security is therefore more viable as the middle ground.
Besides all the features of antivirus, here is what Internet Security has to offer:
- It comes packed with the firewall modules that make sure you are protected against all kinds of network attacks
- Many Internet Security software programs come with security features to protect your identity. They make sure that your online monetary transactions remain safe and your privacy is maintained. They protect you while you are shopping or carrying out banking transactions. Many suites can even save your login credentials and keep them safely.
- If you are using Microsoft Outlook or any other recognized email client, Internet Security software can also provide protection against spam. It comes with anti-spam feature that detects and removes the spam emails.
Most Internet Security suites come with the parental control feature that helps you monitor as well as control your kids’ internet activities.
THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE BUYING A PROTECTION PROGRAM
When it comes to security of your computer and personal data, there is absolutely no denying that Internet Security suites are better than the antivirus tools. They offer more comprehensive protection against a wider range of threats. Internet Security also offers firewall protection to prevent your computer against network against.
Yet, there are a few things one must consider before picking a security tool. Here is the list:
- Budget: Money is definitely one of the most important factors to consider. Antivirus program is cheaper in comparison to Internet Security. If money is a concern bigger than security, one can settle for an antivirus. But, I would recommend not to buy a very cheap antivirus.
- Performance: Internet Security packs many more features as compared to the antivirus. This is why it is bound to consume more system resources too. If you have an old computer with lower specs, Internet Security suite may cause serious dent in the performance. In this case, an antivirus is a better option. However, most computer these days have moderate specs and can easily support Internet Security suites. Also, Internet Security programs of today are designed keeping performance in mind.
- What are you protecting? What kind of data you are trying to protect may also be a consideration. If you have sensitive, confidential data, you cannot compromise with security. You must get Internet Security or even Total Security. However, if you do not have the data you worry about losing, even antivirus will work. Again, for online transactions protection you will still need Internet Security.